On Oct. 6, Try a New Way of Getting To School:
Bike to school with the principal, art teacher, Mayor Dave, wonderful parents and your classmates.
As part of International Bike+Walk to School Day on October 6th, the principal will lead kids and parents on a bike ride to the 3-5 school. Join families from around the globe in a fun, healthy, economical and Earth-friendly way to get to school!
Who: students, parents and staff
What: Early morning bike ride to School
When: Wednesday, October 6
Where: Join in anywhere along the path; times are approximate.
7:00 a.m. Start at the K-2 School @ Lakeside entrance
7:02 a.m. Olin Ave. @ Rowell Ave
7:06 a.m. Bike path @ Beld Street
7:11 a.m. Bike path @ Fish Hatchery Road
7:19 a.m. Vilas Park (meet on path near the boot slide)
7:23 a.m. Monroe St. @ Drake/Spooner intersection
7:25 a.m. Arrive 3-5 school and take group photo
1) Meet at K-2 School on Lakeside Street. Ride the sidewalk and turn left on Rowell St.
2) Cross Olin Ave. and enter the bike path at Goodman pool.
3) Go through the parking lot, and turn right onto Wingra Creek Bike Path before the bridge.
4) The path ends at the fishing pier on Lake Wingra; turn left onto Vilas Park Drive.
5) Turn right just before the shelter and bike over lagoon bridges.
6) Ride past the playground, and exit path onto Drake St.
7) Turn left onto Grant St. and continue onto Spooner Street.
8) Turn left onto Regent St. and right into Randall driveway near the bike racks.
The Fine Print
Please join us anywhere along the way! The total route is 3 ¼ miles and please be aware that we will be riding in the street for part of the ride. Bikers of every kind and ability are welcome. We do ask that an adult accompany kids during the ride. Finally, we will have a volunteer wearing an orange vest at the back of the pack with bike tools and a first aid kit should anyone hit a bump in the road. The ride will be canceled if it is raining, but another ride will be organized in the spring.
Need a Bike to Ride?
No problem! This year, Dream Bikes has generously offered to provide bicycles to anyone wanting to ride. There are a limited number of bikes available, and we will make every effort to provide a bike to any child who would like to participate. Please note, that you need to register in advance to reserve a bike. (e-mail Erika Kluetmeier at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 238-6209.)
After the Ride
Come join in a group photo, pick up a free water bottle, and sign your name to a giant card for First Lady Michelle Obama as part of her “Let’s Move” initiative. Let’s tell her about our healthy choices and how we move at school!
A big thanks to our principal for guiding bikers, Dream Bikes for loaning us bikes, and finally Trek Bicycles for donating water bottles! For more information or to register, contact Erika Kluetmeier at 238-6209 or email@example.com.